2 minutes reading time (493 words)

OUR BIG TRIP




DAY   103     Saturday     20th     July

Some good news this morning, Kay has woken and walked without her head spinning or fallen over. She is on the mend and should be OK to do the Horizontal Falls flight on Monday morning.  Next was a shopping chance for the ladies to a local CWA Saturday Market, a real joy for the men.  This morning we once again visited the Info centre to confirm the bookings on the plane for Monday and to tell the bus where we are staying for the pickup.  Also a bit more info was required regarding the road condition and camp site availability for the Tunnel Creek site.  A better town walk was then taken on our return to the camp.

Driving to Woolies was next priority for the weeks supplies of food and also the caravan and camping shops were scrutinized for that something extra that will never be used or be the purchase of the century.  Food was brought back to the camp and put away before lunch.

After eating we all drove out to see the wonders of the area.  The first stop was to the second Prisoner Boab we have seen in the last couple of weeks, so can only assume that big holes in the side of Boabs were common and that they were all used as jails.  Next came the long trough, a very long trough indeed, long enough to water up to 500 beasts.  This was followed by the cattle yards and then the windmill site, and last in the area was Frost Pool, a very small swimming pool built with what materials were available during the war in 1944 to give the service men a recreation and cool down after their working day.  All very interesting subjects for the photographers to use.

A trip a little further from the town off the Gibb River Road, was to the Mowanjum Art and Culture Centre where Indigenous members of the local community do their own work and, of course, hope to sell at rather large prices.  Some of them were very good though, but not $15000.00 good.

Returning to town and out to the end of the main street to the Wharf, which was originally built in 1894, linked to the town by a horse drawn tramway.  In 1964 when the present jetty was built live cattle were exported with oil and fuel coming in.  Passenger ships also visited till 1973.  The 1990’s saw the export of lead and zinc concentrates from the mine at Fitzroy Crossing.  On our visit they were holding a “long dinner” near the pier, and on the walk we took, a band were rehearsing the entertainment for the evening and sounded quite good.

After the drive back to the camp it was happy hour (gee they come around quick) and again we had the company of Rob and Bev from Victoria.     Then a rather late tea before bed.    

 

OUR BIG TRIP
OUR BIG TRIP
 

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://mail.australiancaravanclub.com.au/