2 minutes reading time (456 words)


DAY   121    Wednesday    7th    August

We were all up fairly early with Kollmorgens and Hales packing their vans for the road and drove them to the Info Centre car park and left them there with fridges on gas.  All this was necessary, as the six of us were booked to do a Rio Tinto Mine Tour.  This was quite an experience right from the start with the coach driver being quite a comedian in his own way.  We found out that at Mount Tom Price, Rio Tinto have very large machinery, very large trucks, very large holes in the mountains and the way they do business, very large  ba115.  Millions of dollars are spent every day in every way, very big business.  Even the Queen is a stock holder in Rio Tinto.

This tour finished, the Clarks had decided to stay in Tom Price another day to investigate further. Meanwhile, Kollmorgens and Hales filled diesel tanks and headed toward Paraburdoo and beyond to a budget camp near Mt Stuart (doing 300 Km for the day).  This was a very tidy camp and very quiet. We spent happy hour with the occupants of the three other caravans in our area and swapped notes.  After came tea and bed.


DAY    122      Thursday    8th    August

Once again this morning we were up and on the move early.  Derek needed to repair a wire and fuse in the Anderson set up, so did this early.  We moved out about 9.00am and were the last of all the 7 camps to leave.  Kay drove with the van attached this morning (first time this trip) until we had a cuppa at a rest area near the turn off to Exmouth.  She handled the van very well too.

Continued after smoko and drove nonstop to Exmouth, phoning the Lighthouse Caravan Park to book the two required sites, and then did a town walk before some lunch in a car park in the centre of town (this was another 360 Km again today).   After lunch we found the Information Centre and enquired as to what to do in the area.  We then drove out the 17 Km to the base of the lighthouse to the camp and set up before going over the road from the camp to check out the beach.  Then back to camp to drive up the hill where the lighthouse stands to watch the sun set.  While waiting for the sun, somebody called “whale” and for the next 10 minutes all eyes were out to sea watching for some not so energetic mammals.  Eventually the sun disappeared and all returned down the hill.  Next came Happy hour, tea and bed.  It has been a couple of big days.



By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://mail.australiancaravanclub.com.au/